Monday 28 November 2016 to Wednesday 30 November 2016 – Three crazy, fabulous days but I’m ready to scoop up my little girl.

Monday, 28 November 2016 – Third and final day in Houston

I enjoy a post-midnight feast of macarons in bed. I love this hotel. I’m far too excited to sleep straight away, which is not helped by the sugar content of the sweet treats, so I watch Christmas related TV until I doze off.

8.00am – We have time for a leisurely breakfast in the conservatory and a read of the papers before packing. I open the paper and find a review of the concert. I could have done a better job of that.

After two days of glorious sun, the sky is grey and cloudy, it’s windy and raining. A little reminder that it’s time to go home. I have enjoyed the last three crazy, fabulous days but I am ready to scoop up my little girl and cuddle her.

We need to check in at the airport at 12.00 noon, (Houston time) and we arrive in London approximately 6.30am, Tuesday 29th November, (London time).

Tuesday, 29 November 2016

We arrive at the airport with enough time to buy last minute treats for the office and having discovered a Benefit vending machine, I feel compelled to take photos and send them to every female I know.

The flight is fine. The experience has gone from terrifying to a little daunting. The difference is enormous.  The upgrade we enjoyed on the way out isn’t extended to the return journey. We are packed in tightly but it doesn’t matter. I have an aisle seat and this time as I wipe down the surfaces around me with an antibacterial wipe, my closest seat neighbours ask if I have any spare wipes. “Absolutely, take as many as you like!”

I’m not anxious, I have my meds and my nebuliser. I can’t wait to get home to my little girl. I even manage a few hours’ sleep.

As we collect our bags, I smile to myself. We jump on the tube and I’m still smiling.

[I have since been told that my flight to Houston broke the cycle of fear and that I may have no further issues with flying. I may have burst into tears at that point. I have yet to test the theory but the general, unnecessary worry has certainly decreased across the board].

We arrive at London Kings Cross at approximately 9.00am, having watched the rush hour unfold around us (with our suitcases and very little energy).

The queue in Starbucks is ridiculous so I wander into Urban Decay and leave Hubby with the cases and the morning paper.

Sales assistant/ beauty technician: “Do you need any help

M: “No thank you, I’m just browsing

Sales assistant/ beauty technician: “Are you OK? You look really pale

M: “I’m fine, thanks, long flight, tired and grumpy. In fact, I last put makeup on at 7.30 am yesterday morning

Sales assistant/ beauty technician: “Take a seat, do you have time? We’ll sort you out

M: “Fabulous!”

I leave with very impressive artificial sparkle, a face spritz and the best under eye concealer I have ever come across.

As we pull into the station, I start to cough. As Sarah collects us from outside the station and drives us home, I cough even more. Perhaps I should just live abroad? We get a quick update of news from the office on the ride home. She likes her cowboy boots. Hurrah!!

We arrive home at noon. H has just finished a plate of pizza and garlic bread.

M: “Hey sweetie, I’ve really missed you. Can I have a hug?”

[ I envisage/expect a dash towards me with her little arms wide open]

H: “Oh, Hi Mummy” [she waves and smiles]

M:”Give me a great big hug please

M:”Erm… ok

[Big hug – whether she likes it or not]

H:”Mummy, did you get me a present?”

[In walks Daddy with presents]

H:” Daddy, daddy, daddy, [breaking away from me] “I’ve really missed you, oh thank you for my presents, I love them!”

[not one breath taken in between her words]

We spend the afternoon in the living room on bean bags, watching Disney.

Wednesday 30 November 2016

6.30 am – H is awake. I can hear her singing Christmas songs to her stuffed toys. Her current favourites are Nemo, Dory and Hank, which makes the hassle of carrying them all the way from Houston all the more worthwhile.

When Santa got stuck up the chimney, he began to shout…”

We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, and we wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year

Unlike her Mummy, H can sing.

Mummy, oh Mummy, is it morning time?”

Mummy, come and get me

…and we’re off, now starts the day. Back to work, back to reality. Time to put crazy fan girl back in the box.

I’m glad it’s nearly Christmas.

CATEGORIES : Diary/ AUTHOR : Lawyer Mum

Write a Reply or Comment

Your email address will not be published.